Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Favorite:
1. MGMT (2008). “Electric Feel.” Oracular Spectacular. This has been my favorite song for awhile for no other reason than that the music and their voices work together to make an extremely catchy and exciting song. I listen to it to either maintain my good mood or to put myself in one.
2. Foster the People (2012) “Don’t Stop (Color on the Walls).” Torches. I only started listening to this song recently but it reminds me of my number one favorite song so it would only make sense to be number two. It is really catchy and fits into the genre of music that I like best.
3. Journey (1978) “Wheel in the Sky.” Infinity. Not only is this one of my favorite songs but I also think one of the best of all time. I like it because the lead singer’s voice sounds to cool and I like the way the instruments sound with his voice.
4. Billy Joel (1977) “Only the Good Die Young.” The Stranger. I have always loved Billy Joel’s music and this song was the first I ever heard by him and it always reminds me of all of his music. I think it is the best song he has written.
5. Billy Joel (1980) “You may be Right.” Glass Houses. This is my second favorite song by Billy Joel because it has such a good beat and I love his voice in general. I like the music he uses in this song better than all of his others (Other than “Only The Good Die Young)
6. The Temper Trap (2008) “Sweet Disposition.” Conditions. I love this song because it has such a addictive mood to it. I love the singer’s voice and it is a great song to listen to when you need to relax.
7. Oasis (1996) “Champagne Supernova.”What’s the Story? Morning Glory. Even though it is a ridiculously long song, it is a good song to listen too when you want to kick back and relax. The instrumentals vary throughout the song keeping it refreshing throughout the whole eight minutes.
8. Kenny Loggins (1972) “Danny’s Song” Sittin in. I love this song because it is so sweet and it’s chorus is very catchy and gets into my head.
9. Petey Pablo (2006) “Show me the Money.” “Step Up sound track.” It is a very good song to listen to when you want to get pumped up and I just like listening to it.
10. Usher (2004) “Burn.” Confessions. I’ve always loved this song. I used to listen to it as a kid and I just enjoy hearing it now. Just because of how much I listen to it would have to put it in the top 10.

Of All Time (In my Opinion):
1. Journey (1981) “Don’t Stop Believing.” Escape. Although I am not a big fan of this song, it is impossible to deny the impact that it has had for the past thirty years. It is impossible to go to a school function, a party, or even a friend’s I pod without coming across this song over and over again. Even thirty years later, everyone still knows this song and can sing almost all the words. It would be hard to say that this isn’t the number one song of all time because the evidence that everyone still knows and loves this song is too overwhelming.
2. Pink Floyd (1973) “Time”. Dark Side of the Moon. The whole idea and purpose of the song puts it at a high point on the list. Not only does this song possess great instrumentals, it also has a very universally important idea and representation of time that everyone on earth can relate to. It is also a very well known song to people in later generations.
3. Billy Joel (1973) “Piano Man”. Studio Album. This is also a song that has maintained its popularity throughout the past thirty years. Although it is not as well knows as ‘Don’t Stop Believing” it is still a widely known and loved song by people. Billy Joel is still a respected artist today and many of his songs are well known.
4. Steve Miller Band (1991) “Serenade”. The Very Best of the Steve Miller Band. It is difficult to choose one of their songs to put above the rest, but the lyrical and instrumental value of the song put it at a higher level than the other on the album. The Steve Miller Band was very popular in the seventies and their music has continued to stay popular even though many people don’t know it is them they are listening to.
5. Steve Miler Band (1991) “Joker”. The Very Best of the Steve Miller Band. This is The Steve Miller Band’s most popular song. Many people still know and love it even though it was written very long ago (Album was released later) It is a very catchy song in general and is easy and fun to sing along to. Based off of popularity it is in the top ten greatest songs.
6. Guns n’ Roses (1988) “Sweet Child O’ Mine”. Appetite For Destruction. This is another song that has a great deal of longevity. The guitar work and also the unique sound of the lead singers voice leads this song to be one of the greatest in history. Most people know , and love this song despite it’s age
7. Jimi Hendrix (1967) “Purple Haze”. Single. Hendrix is widely considered the greatest guitarist in history, Purple Haze is considered his greatest song. It is the first heavy metal song written in the sixties. It was one of the songs that defined the sixties age of drugs .
8. John Lennon (1988) “Imagine” . Soundtrack Album. John Lennon’s most popular song, and considered one of the best songs ever recorded. The song has universal relevance where John depicts what his idea of a perfect world would look like. It has lyrics regarding kindness and lack of government or religious influence on civilization. Although it is a great song it would not rank very highly on the top ten because it does not have that powerful of music in it.
9. Bob Dylan (1965) “Like A Rolling Stone” Highway 61 Revisited. This song has universal themes regarding a renowned topic of being a rolling stone. This is believed to be the most popular of the very popular and influential musician Bob Dylan.
10. Beatles (1967) “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”. SGT. Pepper’s Lonely Heart Club Band . I personally believe this is the best Beatles song because it is so upbeat. It can be used to define the types of songs that the Beatles mostly recorded, and the Beatles are one of the most famous bands in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment